Congratulations to Jeanne, who was amongst six legendary sailors inducted into the Cape Horn Hall of Fame on Thursday 21 September 2023 in Les Sables d'Olonne, France, home to the Hall of Fame.
The event, organised by the International Association of Cape Horners (IACH), was announced by Sir Robin Knox-Johnston, President of the Association, and Yannick Moreau, The Mayor of Les Sables d'Olonne:
- Dame Ellen MacArthur - UK
- Grant Dalton - New Zealand
- Skip Novak - USA
- Jeanne Socrates - UK
- Franck Cammas - France
- Michel Desjoyeaux - France
Between them, they have 24 circumnavigations - all of them via Cape Horn - and have set 9 world records.
Jeanne is a 3-time circumnavigator via Cape Horn 2009-12: Solo circumnavigation from UK to Canada via South Africa, New Zealand, Canada (Victoria, BC), Cape Horn, S. Africa, Hobart (Tasmania), Tahiti, Hawaii, Victoria BC - one-and-a-half times around the world via Cape Horn, Good Hope (twice) & Leeuwin (twice).
Images: Jeanne Socrates © Jeanne Socrates / PPL
Unveiling of new Cape Horn Hall of Fame inductees on 21 September 2023 © capehorners.org
Jeanne’s achievements also include:
- 2013: The first woman to complete solo non-stop circumnavigation from North America and at 71, the oldest woman to sail solo non-stop around the world. aboard the 38-foot Najad 380 cruising yacht Nereida
- 2019: At 77, the oldest person to complete a solo non-stop circumnavigation around the 5 Great Capes
- 2013: awarded the Cruising Club of America Blue Water Medal and the Royal Cruising Club's Medal for Seamanship
Find out more capehorners.org
Follow Jeanne Socrates:
2 October 2023